amavisd-new dies after perl 5.24 upgrade

David Newman dnewman at networktest.com
Sat Apr 15 04:13:52 UTC 2017

Greetings. This is about a mail server running FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE-p9
with packages, including amavisd-new-2.11.0_1,1, compiled from ports.

After upgrading perl 5.20 -> 5.24 using the portmaster commands given in
/usr/ports/UPDATING, amavisd panics with errors like this at a rate of
many per second:

Apr 14 15:22:43 mail8 amavis[54543]: (!)_DIE: Suicide in
child_init_hook: BDB can't connect db env. at /var/amavis/db: BDB0087
DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery, No such file or
directory. at (eval 93) line 338.

The amavisd daemon worked OK prior to the perl upgrade.

There's a previous thread about perl 5.24 upgrading in which someone
suggested touching /var/amavis/db/db.env, but that didn't work here, and
also the rest of that thread discusses portupgrade and not portmaster.

In addition to the stuff in UPDATING I also tried recompiling all perl5
packages with 'portmaster -f p5-*' but that didn't help. I also ran
'portmaster amavisd-new' and rebooting but again that was no help.

At this point I am manually restarting the amavisd service, but
sometimes it stays up for only a few minutes, or less.

Thanks in advance for troubleshooting clues.

dn