freebsd-update not updating kernel?

Ian Jefferson ijeff at sandbox.ca
Thu Sep 22 10:40:57 UTC 2016

I was having a similar issue with freebsd-update not being aware (able?) to patch up to 9.3-RELEASE-p45.

I am continually getting messages from freebsd-update cron like this:

Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 4 mirrors found.
Fetching metadata signature for 9.3-RELEASE from update6.freebsd.org... done.
Fetching metadata index... done.
Inspecting system... done.
Preparing to download files... done.

The following files will be removed as part of updating to 9.3-RELEASE-p45:

I can run freebsd-update fetch and install all day long with reboots and uname still reports 9.3-RELEASE-p43.

For fun I installed lsof and I can reproduce Matt’s problem exactly.

So does uname(3) or uname(1) report on the kernel or does it simply report back an environment variable?  It looks to me like the latter and perhaps there is something about this p43 to p45 update that is not setting this environment variable up.

Both "freebsd-update cron" and “lsof" don’t seem to think the upgrade/patch has occurred.  In the case "freebsd-update cron” every day it reports by email that some update is required to get to p43.  Is this a bug?

Ian