base source: release vs releng

Brandon Wandersee brandonbwa at bestmark.com
Sun Sep 18 22:51:24 UTC 2016

Baho Utot writes:

> Ok I am still confused
>
> svn.freebsd.org has for example ( if I got this correct )
>
> base/head    - CURRENT-12
> base/stable/11    - STABLE-11
> base/releng/10.1    - ?
> base/release/10.1.0    - ?
>
> Which one would have  FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE-p35 or later?

The short answer is that you want the "releng/x.x" branch.

The long answer is that the "release/x.x" branch in the SVN repo is the
snapshot from which the x.x-RELEASE installation images are built. It is
the point in development at which FreeBSD x.x is "born" and actually
released. From there, the x.x Subversion repo branches off into
"releng/x.x," where security and bug-fix patches are applied.

Checking the source out from release/10.1 and building would give you a
system identical to clean install of 10.1 (excepting any configurations
you have in place). releng/10.1 will give you 10.1 with all the latest
security and bug fixes. And so it is with all -RELEASEs.

--
::  Brandon Wandersee
::  brandonbwa at bestmark.com
::  Quality Assurance Editor
::  BestMark, Inc.
::  'The best design is as little design as possible.'