base source: release vs releng

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sun Sep 18 00:55:09 UTC 2016

On Sat, 17 Sep 2016 20:12:22 -0400, Baho Utot wrote:
> On 09/17/16 19:50, Polytropon wrote:
> > On Sat, 17 Sep 2016 18:45:44 -0400, Baho Utot wrote:
> >> As I understand this:
> >>
> >> The difference between release and releng is that releng gets security
> >> fixes and "back ports/fixes" and release does not?
> >>
> >> Or have I completely missed the boat and I am all wet?
> > The term "releng" means "release engineering" and is something like
> > a word for "the whole release process", the task of creating a release
> > of the OS, in which there are basically three levels:
> >
> > RELEASE - this is the release which gets published electronically
> > 	and on optical media
> >
> > RELEASE-pX - this is a RELEASE where security updates have been
> > 	added to, indicated by patchlevel X
> >
> > STABLE - this is the stable development branch, i. e. the branch
> > 	in which ABIs and APIs are stable, and which usually does
> > 	compile and run; typcally from this branch, security updates
> > 	are provided for RELEASE
> >
> > CURRENT or HEAD - this is the experimental development branch, the
> > 	place where testing happens, so it isn't _guaranteed_ to
> > 	compile and run properly; it's often in a "state of flow",
> > 	i. e. doesn't compile now, wait 2 hours, update sources,
> > 	recompile, works; from this branch, features are put into
> > 	production development (appearing in STABLE) or discarded
> > 	(which also _may_ happen)
> >
> > You can find more information here:
> >
> > https://www.freebsd.org/releng/
> >

> Ok I am still confused
>
> svn.freebsd.org has for example ( if I got this correct )
>
> base/head    - CURRENT-12
> base/stable/11    - STABLE-11
> base/releng/10.1    - ?
> base/release/10.1.0    - ?
>
> Which one would have  FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE-p35 or later?

base/release/10.1.0 refers to FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE (the release
itself), base/releng/10.1 will then have FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE-p35.

> I got the part on how to use svnlite to fetch the source, I just don't
> know which one is what
>
> I want to update
>
>   uname -a FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE-p35 #0 net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
> amd64

As you're following the "-RELEASE-pX branch" anyway, you could
use freebsd-update to update your src/ subtree and compile from
that. (You could even update your system without compiling with
freebsd-update if you wanted.)

You do not _need_ to use SVN for this task - you'd _have to_ use
it if you wanted to follow -STABLE or -CURRENT.

But if you wish to obtain the sources with SVN, it's possible.
According to the handbook, you'd typically do something like this:

	# svn checkout https://svn.FreeBSD.org/releng/10.1 /usr/src

with an empty /usr/src "entry point".

If you wanted to follow -STABLE, you'd just use a different branch,
like

	# svn checkout https://svn.FreeBSD.org/stable/10 /usr/src

and then use "svn update" to update your local copy. Note that this
particular task currently cannot be performed with freebsd-update.
(Same applies for following -CURRENT.)

Similarly, using

	# svn checkout https://svn.FreeBSD.org/release/10.1.0 /usr/src

would "reset" your local copy to 10.1-RELEASE without any patches.

More information here:

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/svn.html

--
Polytropon