10.3 zpool/var canmount = off?

Oscar Hodgson oscar.hodgson at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 14:47:09 UTC 2016

New 10.3 install and I just noted that canmount is set off (local).  So it serves only to provide a root for other var pools (okay) and a number of /var sub-directories wind up on the root file system (e.g. /var/db, /var/cache).

Is there any specific reason why that choice was made?

I working on updating / replacing a 9.0 mfsroot image we use to pxe boot machines (and decided to pass on 9.3).  That image set up /var within rc.conf (varmfs=“YES”, populate_var=“YES”), but everything there disappears when the machine powers off at the end of the day … and part of my objective is to minimize the size of root.

Mostly curiosity (and my next step it to “fix” canmount), just thought I’d ask.

Oscar