csh history search

Ernie Luzar luzar722 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 15:39:55 UTC 2016

Hello List;
Reading this section "History substitution" in csh(1) seems to indicate
I can pull up a previous command from the history list.

Lets say that a while back I issued this command
ping -c 4 hometown.jones.domain.com

Now I would like to retrieve that domain name from the history list.

On the command line I enter  !?jon
The complete ping command is retrieved and automatically executed.

I don't want the found command automatically executed, I just want the
found command inserted to the command line being visible so I can
manually modify it before choosing to execute it.

I could not find any info in csh(1) about auto exec or how to stop it.
Hoping someone who uses this csh function could help me out.

Thanks