recent security updates to 10.3-RELEASE broke xdm?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sun Oct 2 15:11:13 UTC 2016

On Sun, 2 Oct 2016 16:00:54 +0100 (BST), Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
> From freebsd at edvax.de Sun Oct  2 15:53:23 2016
> >
> >> Anyway, this is what I get:
> >>
> >> ####> cat .xsession
> >> #!/bin/tcsh
> >> source ~/.tcshrc
> >> exec ~/.xinitrc
> >> ####> cat .xinitrc
> >> xautolock -locker slock &
> >> xconsole &
> >> exec mwm
> >
> >Yes: This should let the session live as long as mwm lives.
> >You can now easily verify this with the "non-xdm approach"
> >by using "startx" - you should get your regular desktop, and
> >when you exit mwm, the session terminates, and X shuts down.
> >
> >This is what you should definitely verify, to make sure the
> >"session flow" works as expected.
>
> Yes, this works exactly as you describe.

So no problem related to mwm or the programs you're using.

> >> xdm info (pid 917): Starting X server on :0
> >> xdm info (pid 4040): sourcing /usr/local/lib/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0
> >> xdm info (pid 4040): sourcing /usr/local/lib/X11/xdm/GiveConsole
> >> xdm info (pid 4057): executing session /usr/local/lib/X11/xdm/Xsession
> >> xdm info (pid 4040): sourcing /usr/local/lib/X11/xdm/TakeConsole
> >> XIO:  fatal IO error 35 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0"
> >>       after 169 requests (162 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
> >
> >This error also looks familiar to me. Do you have any suspicious
> >entries in the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file?
>
> No, all seems fine:
> http://eis.bris.ac.uk/~mexas/Xorg.0.log

A few warnings, but nothing related to the strange xdm behaviour.
Everything else looks fully correct.

> Perhaps my nvidia driver (and the card) are becoming too old:
>
> nvidia-driver-340-340.93       x11/nvidia-driver-340

Interesting aspect... bug again, I cannot imagine why there are
problems with xdm, but "startx" works perfectly. You probably
don't have a problem related to nvidia-driver...

Have you tried the "obvious" recompile & reinstall dance? ;-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany