how long does a make buildworld normally take?

Christoph P.U. Kukulies kuku at kukulies.org
Fri Nov 18 09:38:46 UTC 2016

how long does a make buildworld normally take?
Has make buildworld time constant over the years?

In 1995 "make world" on a Pentium Pro about 18 hours
On my 4GB, CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
(1995.64-MHz 686-class CPU)
make buildworld took about 18 hours. Well that CPU isn't the latest
either (10 Years or so)

Reminds me of a joke, saying that all bycycles weight the same (10lbs).

Light carbon fiber bike 3lbs. need 7 lbs. lock

Heavy steel bike 7lbs. need 3 lbs. lock

As hardware grew faster over the years, software exploded the same way
and eats up resources.

Anyway, how could one speed up the make buildworld process?
Parallelizing (make -j 8 or sth.)?

I will try next on my 16GB notebook with i7-4720 (8core) CPU 1TB SSD and
see what it gives.

--

Christoph