unknown error during root mount on boot (fstab) in 11.0-RELEASE (after updating)

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Fri Nov 11 11:35:51 UTC 2016

On 11/11/16 11:19, Christoph P.U. Kukulies wrote:
> It doesn't work. I enable console.info and *.* to go to
> /var/log/console.log resp. all.log
> bute the fiels weren't there. Also touching them in the first place
> didn't help.
> Maybe because the root FS isn't writeable at this point in time.
>
> Here is a screenshot:
>
> http://imgur.com/fEGCWhh

So, what disk devices show up in /dev after reboot?  Note that /dev/ad?
style is old and /dev/ada? is the new standard.  In fact the /dev/adXpY
device entries should be symlinks to the appropriate /dev/adaNpY
devices.  Also note that device numbering is not particularly constant
over reboots -- if you boot with or without eg. a USB memstick plugged
in, it can cause everything to get renumbered.  This is why the advice
nowadays is to use gpart(8) to set a label on your filesystems and use
/dev/gpt/labelname in /etc/fstab

	Cheers,

	Matthew