cups problems on 10.3 release both Epson and HP

Gary Aitken freebsd at dreamchaser.org
Sat Nov 5 19:24:52 UTC 2016

Is anyone successfully using cups on 10.3?
I was using version 2.0.3 of cups on 9.2 ok,
but after installing 10.3 and cups 2.2.1 neither my Epson 3880 nor HP Officejet
Pro 8500 works.
Both of the printers are installed as networked printers,
using the socket://...:9100 interface.

>From the web interface to cups,
if I ask for the Epson to print its self-test page,
the printer activates and the green light above the power button starts blinking,
and never quits blinking -- it's as if the printer is perpetually busy.  I have
to turn it off and on to reset it.
For the HP, I get a page that says something to the effect that if you can read
this page you are using the wrong driver.

I tried all of the epson 3880 drivers listed in the cups drop-down, plus
the 4600 one; there was no driver for the officejet pro 8500 listed so I
tried using a different one (which had worked under cups 2.0.3 on 9.2) and
also the one in the gutenprint 5.2.10 installation.

ideas?