Prevent zpool from being mounted on next boot

Brandon J. Wandersee brandon.wandersee at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 00:13:18 UTC 2016

Matthias Fechner writes:

> Is there a way to prevent the mount from pool tank at next boot?
>
> I would not like to destroy the pool (tank) till I can boot the new one without problems.

Here would be the "dirty" way of doing it:

1. Boot into "tank," or boot the install medium and
   choose "Live CD"
2. Import "zroot" (remember to use "altroot"), or
   mount whatever partition contains /boot for "zroot"
3. Delete /boot/zfs/zpool.cache on "zroot"

That file should be replaced when you boot from "zroot," but will only
contain the relevant info for the new pool. You'd need to make sure
"zfs_enable='YES'" is set in /etc/rc.conf for at least the first boot,
since only the root filesystem would be mounted on the first boot
otherwise.

Someone else might have a cleaner way of doing what you want, though.

--
::  Brandon J. Wandersee
::  brandon.wandersee at gmail.com
::  'The best design is as little design as possible.'