Prevent zpool from being mounted on next boot

Matthias Fechner idefix at fechner.net
Thu Nov 3 17:38:54 UTC 2016

Dear all,

I currently have the problem that my boot partition is only 64kb which
is not enough for freebsd 11 new zpool version.

So I removed one disk from my zpool mirror.

Corrected the partition size to 256kb and copied all data with zfs
send/receive to the new pool.

The zpool name changed from tank to zroot.

I would modify on the new pool the loader.conf and the bootfs option for
the new pool by:

zpool set bootfs=zroot/ROOT/default zroot

But I fear a little bit that at a reboot the new pool zroot and the old pool tank is mounted to / which would cause serious problems.

Is there a way to prevent the mount from pool tank at next boot?

I would not like to destroy the pool (tank) till I can boot the new one without problems.

Thanks
Matthias