moving podriere to new SSD

Brandon J. Wandersee brandon.wandersee at gmail.com
Sun May 22 15:50:49 UTC 2016

Matthias Apitz writes:

> My questions is: what would be best form to format ada1 to a files
> system for this to get most speed out of it?

With an SSD it won't really matter. You won't notice any difference
between UFS and ZFS. But regardless: compilation speed is dependent on
the CPU, not your disk; and by default Poudriere performs some of its
work in RAM, which is already faster than an SSD. I wouldn't expect to
see a huge speed increase from Poudriere after moving its directories to
an SSD. If Poudriere is configured to extract distfiles and prepare
ports on disk rather than in RAM, that would speed up, but that's
probably about it.

Of course you could always move the entire system to the SSD, since it
would have plenty of spare room. While Poudriere wouldn't run
drastically faster, everything else would, and you could use the extra
space on the HDD for any data you might want to store.

--

::  Brandon J. Wandersee
::  brandon.wandersee at gmail.com
::  'The best design is as little design as possible.'