network hook up for Win 10 laptop on Freebsd

al plant noc at hdk5.net
Wed Jun 29 20:32:48 UTC 2016

Polytropon wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Jun 2016 23:26:38 -0500 (CDT), Valeri Galtsev wrote:

>>> I've used raw port 9100 printing to HP JetDirects many times.  It's nice
>>> because it has no other dependencies.
>>>

>> I agree if you have one to 5 or so clients. If you have 100+ clients, you
>> better don't let them print directly to the printer, and instead make them
>> print through print server. One client acts up (say, hits consistently bug
>> in postscript implementation of the printer that knocks printer out; and
>> keeps re-sending print job every time you power cycle printer) - you will
>> see the world of difference. You can pinpoint what comes from which client
>> if all goes through print server. UNIX machine as print server will
>> provide you with much more than brainless embedded system printers have
>> inside. But for few clients, as you said, the effort is not worth it.
>>

> There is another advantage, in case it should matter:
>
> You can have all your clients submit PS (using a generic Postscript
> driver) and let the UNIX machine postprocess it into whatever format
> is needed for the printer. Most normal printers speak PS, PCL and PDF
> (or at least one of those), but if you're unlucky and your printer
> doesn't, and maybe even worse, MICROS~1 decided your printer became
> "too old" and there is no driver support anymore, this might be an
> extendable solution: You got a new printer? No client-side change is
> needed, just a different postprocessing filter on the server, which
> is O(1) instead of O(n). ;-)

many thanks for all the ideas put forward.

We have an old b&w hp printer on the Freebsd server and have a wireless
link to another color at least a few ways to go on this now.

        ~ Al Plant - Honolulu, Hawaii - Phone: 808-284-2740 ~
                 Supporting FreeBSD - UNIX Computer O/S
              email: noc at hdk5.net  email: alplant.att.net
."All that's really worth doing is what we do for others" - Lewis Carrol