network hook up for Win 10 laptop on Freebsd

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Wed Jun 29 04:52:45 UTC 2016

On Tue, 28 Jun 2016 23:26:38 -0500 (CDT), Valeri Galtsev wrote:

> On Tue, June 28, 2016 10:05 pm, Warren Block wrote:
> > On Tue, 28 Jun 2016, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
> >
> >> They didn't change anything. You can create two kind of ports (at least
> >> two). Namely: you can create "raw" port, and give there IP address of
> >> the
> >> printer. This printer has to listen to "jetdirect" port (9100) for this
> >> work. The other way is if printer listens to LPD ("spooler") port (port
> >> number 515) (or better: print server, - I usually set up all printer to
> >> only accept print jobs from print server - easier to manage especially
> >> if
> >> something is wrong with some client). In this case, you need to enable
> >> two
> >> services on Windows side (through "turning on features"): UNIX printing
> >> related: "LPD Print Service" and "LPR Port Monitr". This teaches Windows
> >> talk UNIX printing language, you then create local port of type LPD (and
> >> put remote LPD server's IP there). I found this to be the most robust
> >> way
> >> of having Windows printing to UNIX print queues.
> >
> > I've used raw port 9100 printing to HP JetDirects many times.  It's nice
> > because it has no other dependencies.
> >

> I agree if you have one to 5 or so clients. If you have 100+ clients, you
> better don't let them print directly to the printer, and instead make them
> print through print server. One client acts up (say, hits consistently bug
> in postscript implementation of the printer that knocks printer out; and
> keeps re-sending print job every time you power cycle printer) - you will
> see the world of difference. You can pinpoint what comes from which client
> if all goes through print server. UNIX machine as print server will
> provide you with much more than brainless embedded system printers have
> inside. But for few clients, as you said, the effort is not worth it.

There is another advantage, in case it should matter:

You can have all your clients submit PS (using a generic Postscript
driver) and let the UNIX machine postprocess it into whatever format
is needed for the printer. Most normal printers speak PS, PCL and PDF
(or at least one of those), but if you're unlucky and your printer
doesn't, and maybe even worse, MICROS~1 decided your printer became
"too old" and there is no driver support anymore, this might be an
extendable solution: You got a new printer? No client-side change is
needed, just a different postprocessing filter on the server, which
is O(1) instead of O(n). ;-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany