LAN slow or dead, intermittently

Ernie Luzar luzar722 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 16:24:40 UTC 2016

Janos Dohanics wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Jun 2016 08:50:56 -0400
> Ernie Luzar <luzar722 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Janos Dohanics wrote:
>>> Hello List,
>>>
>>> Please help me figure out what makes my LAN intermittently slow or
>>> just about dead.
>>>
>>> [...]
>> I also had performance problems with 10.3 that did not happen with
>> 10.2 and older releases. When the lan went dead I had to reboot the
>> host system to get things working again because users were on my
>> back. I never let this condition exist to see if it would resolve it
>> self.
>>
>> My first solution was to go back to using 10.2 and everything was
>> fine. One evening I swapped the hosts 10.2 hard drive with the 10.3
>> hard drive so I could test some more. Just by luck I checked the date
>> & time by issuing the "date" command. The date was correct but the
>> time was -2 hours off. I manually set the correct time using the
>> "date" command and let 10.3 run as production. With in 5 days the lan
>> network was having performance problems again. I checked the host
>> time and it was off by -30 minutes. I replaced the host motherboard
>> battery with a new one and manually set the correct time again.
>> Things ran ok for about 2 weeks when it happened again. This time the
>> time was off by -2 minutes.
>>
>> This time I enabled the base ntpd time daemon by adding this to
>> rc.conf ntpd_enable="YES"
>> ntpd_sync_on_start="YES"
>>
>> Since then 10.3 has been running ok [2 months now]. I think some
>> thing in the network stack code changed between 10.2 and 10.3 that
>> made the time sync between lan nodes and the host, time range
>> dependent.
>>
>> I would say that checking the time on your host and all the machines
>> on the lan would be a good place to start looking for your problem.
>>
>> Good luck
>
> Well, date(1) shows a time which seems reasonably correct... it didn't
> occur to me that an inaccurate clock could also be the cause of the
> kind of problem I described. Thanks anyway...

When I posted the above reply I also included your email address
Janos Dohanics <web at 3dresearch.com>

It got bounced and some spam harvesting dns message came back. With the
reply you just posted shows me your reading the questions list and
posting BS just to drive traffic to your email address harvesting web
site. To all who read this thread, beware, ignore all posts from this
domain 3dresearch.com