Bad experience switching to SSD on FreeBSD 10.3

Manish Jain bourne.identity at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 25 09:09:56 UTC 2016

>>> 1) Keyboard -> LED backlit keyboard (Cooler Master Devastator, USB)
>>> 2) 2 GB DDR3 RAM -> 8GB DDR3 (G Skill)
>>> 3) Sata HD -> SSD (Samsung EVO 500 GB)
>>>
>>> The keyboard upgrade itself failed for FreeBSD. The moment I switch on
>>> the LED backlight light for the keys, console output freezes till I
>>> turn off the backlight. This is surprising because the keyboard works
>>> well on XP, which was developed almost 2 decades back. The reason this
>>> is important for me is because I love working in the dark, with no
>>> bright lights around. LED keyboards make that possible. Not just that,
>>> the keyboard looks sensational - particularly with LED on, when the
>>> thing looks futuristic.
>>
>> Cooler Master Devastator is a poorly designed LED keyboard for using on
>> FreeBSD/Linux, I did a quick search because I was surprised it wouldn't
>> work.
>>

>> Someone else might have a better idea for a work around on this.
>
> Press Scroll Lock to activate light (console locked), press Pause/Break
> to unlock console again. As both keys are next to each other,
> develop the routine to press them after each other to toggle the
> light. Inside X, Scroll Lock usually has no function assigned,
> so it shouldn't be a problem there.

I found a doc which says the keyboard can be used with linux with this
script :

#!/bin/bash
FLAGS=$(xset -q | awk 'NR==2' | awk '{ print $10 }')
if [ "$FLAGS" = 00000000 ]; then
	xset led on
else
	xset led off
fi

Would this kind of script work on FreeBSD too ?