ZFS: Is 'zpool add' really irreversible?

Steve O'Hara-Smith steve at sohara.org
Thu Jun 16 17:34:33 UTC 2016

On Thu, 16 Jun 2016 12:10:24 -0400
Matthew Ahrens <mahrens at delphix.com> wrote:

> *Matthew Seaman Wrote:*
>
> > Suffice it to say though that there is already fix for those 'Oh No! I
> > really didn't mean to type "zfs add" there' moments in the upstream
> > OpenZFS repo
> >

> That's unfortunately not the case.  Device removal has been implemented in
> Delphix but not yet upstreamed to OpenZFS / illumos.  We hope to upstream
> it in the next 6 months.

	Very nice, now all we need is extending raidz(x) vdevs with some
kind of background restripe of existing data and all sane manipulations are
possible. I'm not holding my breath for that one, and would not be
surprised if it never happens, but it would be handy.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve at sohara.org>