ZFS: Is 'zpool add' really irreversible?

Matthew Ahrens mahrens at delphix.com
Thu Jun 16 16:10:26 UTC 2016

*Matthew Seaman Wrote:*

> Suffice it to say though that there is already fix for those 'Oh No! I
> really didn't mean to type "zfs add" there' moments in the upstream
> OpenZFS repo

That's unfortunately not the case.  Device removal has been implemented in
Delphix but not yet upstreamed to OpenZFS / illumos.  We hope to upstream
it in the next 6 months.

> You get a grace period within which you can undo that sort of
> mistake.

With device removal, there is no pre-set "grace period"; you can remove a
device even long after it has been added (though of course it might have
more data stored on it which will take longer to move).

--matt