Anything special to do moving to SSD?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Wed Jun 15 08:28:31 UTC 2016

On Tue, 14 Jun 2016 20:16:53 -0600 (MDT), Warren Block wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Jun 2016, Manish Jain wrote:
>
> >> Provided the existing filesystems will fit on the SSD a migrate in
> >> place is quite easy. I have done this quite recently based on the
> >> excellent write up here
> >> http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/ssd.html - don't treat it as
> >> a step-by-step adapt it to your setup (not hard).
> >>

> > I am bothered by this thought. Let's say my old SATA disk is da0 and I
> > attach the SSD as da1 for copying the filesystem via dump+restore. Next
> > I remove the SATA entirely and reboot. Now will the SSD still be da1 ?
> > If not, then I have no way of knowing how to configure /etc/fstab for
> > the SSD.
>
> Use GPT labels.  Or UFS filesystem labels:
> http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/labels.html

A very important advice. Labels make it easier to recognize the
purpose of partitions by name (instead of number), and they also
"survive" if a disk gets moved from system to system.

> Even on single-disk systems, labels make it easier to deal with
> partitions.

Even on single-disk systems, device names might change due to a
system update: A disk that has been known as ad4 could come up
as ada0 after an improved "controller" has been introduced to
the kernel. :-)

> Yes.  But unless you have a strong requirement to run XP on bare
> hardware (like for games), install VirtualBox and run it as a VM.  That
> makes it easy to transplant elsewhere when the need arises.

And it saves you a lot of trouble getting "drivers" for hardware
that has been considered "outdated" and isn't supported anymore
by "Windows" or by its manufacturer.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany