advice for buying a laptop

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Sat Jun 11 19:57:09 UTC 2016

On Fri, June 10, 2016 12:51, Valeri Galtsev wrote:

> Indeed. I remember some 10 or 15 years ago someone said: having a
> mac is like driving ferrari. Ford or subaru will get you around
> same well, but but ferrari gives you that chic ;-)
>
> Valeri

More like a Benz.  My MacBook pro 17" is seven years old as of
February past and still runs well.  Actually, really well.  Before
this I never had a laptop survive more than three years before some
critical piece of irreplaceable hardware failed.  Many not even that
long (Sony Vaio ~9 months, HPQ whatever made with LCM chips only
certified to 40C [saved a fortune in costs -- ~$0.005 per unit -- over
chips certified to80C] ~13 months.)

Unfortunately, contemporary Macs are monolithic beasts.  Like the
iPhone you cannot even open them to change a battery; much less add
memory or storage.  So bye-bye Apple when I finally do have to
upgrade.  But the machine I have is wonderful.

Canada  L8E 3C3