Adding an IP address to a Running Jail

Dean E. Weimer dweimer at dweimer.net
Fri Jun 10 20:28:11 UTC 2016

On 2016-06-10 2:27 pm, Dean E. Weimer wrote:
> I already have multiple IPs on our reverse proxy server which is
> running on a FreeBSD jail, and I know how to add them to the
> configuration. I am working on a new project, and need to add another
> IP. I have it in the configuration, but what I can't seem to figure
> out how to add the IP to the jail without restarting it.
>
> So I am stuck until our maintenance window to complete the project,
> unless someone out there can tell me how to do it if its even
> possible. Of course I have other things that need done, and this
> project doesn't have to be completed today, just thought it would be
> nice to know going forward.

I found my own answer, I did some searching and found the -m option for
the jail command, and was able to add an IP to a jail on my test system.
Think I am still going to wait on the production system and restart it,
as I put a typo in the first time and dropped its original IP off on the
test system. But now I know going forward if I have an urgent reason it
can be done.

--
Thanks,
    Dean E. Weimer