Pidfile generated by /usr/sbin/daemon not usable by rc.d script

Ian Smith smithi at nimnet.asn.au
Sun Jun 5 16:36:15 UTC 2016

On Fri, 3 Jun 2016 10:18:53 +0200, Adam Lindberg wrote:

 > We are using FreeBSD 10.1 STABLE. We are trying to demonize an Erlang
 > program. Erlang itself has support for detaching but cannot write
 > pidfiles. Thatÿÿs why weÿÿre trying to use daemon to wrap it.
 >
 > My experience is also that read works in all cases without a newline,
 > except from inside the rc script. That I cannot explain.

I'm mystified too.  Sounds like raising a bug might be your best bet; it
may be come across by someone who knows more or recognises something.

Looking at your sh -ex runs, good and fail, the only thing I wonder
about is whether running it without -e might make any difference ..
although the sourced /etc/rc.subr certainly should be -e safe.

cheers, Ian