rsync or git backups?

Luca Ferrari fluca1978 at infinito.it
Wed Jun 1 08:35:07 UTC 2016

Hi all,
so far I'm using rsync to keep in sync a couple of removable media
(well, up to four) where one is the "master" and the others are a
cascade backups (meaning they are set at different time).
So far so good.
One problem is that I tend to change things in the master, e.g., bulk
file renaming or moving, so when I replicate it on the backups I have
to force the deletion of no more existing content.
This approach, however, relies on the fact that the master is good. My
fear is that if the master corrupts some file, I could possibly loss
them if they have also been moved since I will no more be able to
recognize them on the slaves.

So I would like to have some feature like git (or fossil) for hash
handling, but since I'm talking about 290+ GB of binaries I'm not sure
this approach could work.

Any suggestion?