math/open-axiom gone?

Montgomery-Smith, Stephen stephen at missouri.edu
Wed Jul 27 00:18:44 UTC 2016

On 07/25/2016 09:18 PM, cpghost wrote:
> Hello,
>
> after updating my ports tree, I've found out that math/open-axiom
> has been deleted! After math/fricas unusable with sbcl-1.3.x for
> many months and now gone too, I'm left with NO alternatives for
> that kind of software here.
>
> Fortunately, I still have a working package of open-axiom on my machine,
> running with SBCL 1.3.1 right now:
>
> $ pkg version -v | grep open-axiom
> open-axiom-1.4.2_3                 ?   orphaned: math/open-axiom
>
> $ uname -a
> FreeBSD phenom.fritz.box 10.3-STABLE FreeBSD 10.3-STABLE #0 r303311: Mon Jul 25 20:42:34 CEST 2016     root at phenom.fritz.box:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
>
> $ open-axiom
>              OpenAxiom: The Open Scientific Computation Platform
>                           Version: OpenAxiom 1.4.2
>                  Built on Friday June 19, 2015 at 22:28:27
>    Issue )copyright to view copyright notices.
>    Issue )summary for a summary of useful system commands.
>    Issue )quit to leave OpenAxiom and return to shell.
>
> (1) -> )quit
>
> $ sbcl
> This is SBCL 1.3.1, an implementation of ANSI Common Lisp.
> More information about SBCL is available at <http://www.sbcl.org/>.
>
> SBCL is free software, provided as is, with absolutely no warranty.
> It is mostly in the public domain; some portions are provided under
> BSD-style licenses.  See the CREDITS and COPYING files in the
> distribution for more information.
> * (sb-ext:exit)
>
> Do you recommend to switch to Debian GNU/Linux, where those packages
> are still actively maintained, or is there a chance in hell to see
> those ports reappear in the near future on FreeBSD?
>
> Thanks,
> -cpghost.

How did you manage to build math/open-axiom?  I tried building it again,
and I am still getting the errors.  You must have at least by-passed the
BROKEN within the port.

Also, regarding your last comment, I must admit that I also find myself
moving to Linux.  For certain tasks it works better than FreeBSD,
probably because it has a much larger base of volunteers, and also
because most people who write open source do it on Linux.