freebsd-questions Digest, Vol 634, Issue 2

Manish Jain bourne.identity at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 26 13:13:14 UTC 2016

On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 5:30 PM, freebsd-questions-request at freebsd.org wrote:
Try mtr instead of ping (in ports) -- it shows you /where/ the packets are being lost. 'netstat -i' is also a good thing to check. If there are any packet errors, particularly if they are going up over time, then there's a physical problem somewhere on your local network. Frequently this is due to bad ethernet cables, but it could be some more expensive bit of hardware going wonky. Also, you need to do: service netif restart && service routing restart to completely refresh your network interfaces. Not restarting the routing explains at least part of what you're seeing. This sort of problem is almost never down to malfeasance -- the black hats would typically rather have control over your fully working hardware and will frequently try and avoid doing anything that would lead to being discovered. Most likely it's a software configuration problem, or failing that, hardware failure.

Thanks a lot for such a detailed response. I will try it whenever I lose network again. If it's an issue with software configuration, I will update it here.

One of the great things about freebsd is the amount of plain-spoken advice available at this list. Thanks again
Manish Jain