KDE panel , how to remove widgets?

Dutch Ingraham stoa at gmx.us
Fri Jul 22 19:34:54 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 01:54:43PM -0500, Brandon J. Wandersee wrote:

> ::  Brandon J. Wandersee
> ::  brandon.wandersee at gmail.com
> ::  --------------------------------------------------
> ::  'The best design is as little design as possible.'
> ::  --- Dieter Rams ----------------------------------
> Matthias Apitz writes:
>
> > Do you (or someone) knows how to tweak the KDE4 pannel, desktop app icons,
> > features ... by editing config files or using command line stuff? This
> > would it make more easier to setup your desktop after new installation.
>
> There is no such thing. KDE is configured entirely through graphical
> interfaces. Virtually no KDE applications have command-line options, and
> I don't recall ever seeing a KDE applications with a man page.

It may be different on freebsd, but on my linux installation I have the
following manpages that have "kde" in the name:

~ $ man -k kde
amor (6)             - A KDE creature for your desktop
ark (1)              - KDE archiving tool
blkdeactivate (8)    - utility to deactivate block devices
blockdev (8)         - call block device ioctls from the command line
checkXML (1)         - An XML lint tool for KDE DocBook XML documents.
checkXML5 (1)        - An XML lint tool for KDE DocBook XML documents.
fixincludes (1)      - Reduce the number of #includes in KDE source
files
kalzium (1)          - A KDE based chemistry teaching tool
kate (1)             - Advanced text editor for KDE
kconfig_compiler (1) - KDE configuration compiler
kcookiejar4 (8)      - KDE HTTP cookie daemon
kcookiejar5 (8)      - Command line interface to the KDE HTTP cookie
daemon
kde4-config (1)      - Prints KDE installation paths
kded4 (8)            - KDE daemon - triggers Sycoca database updates
when needed.
kded5 (8)            - KDE daemon - triggers Sycoca database updates
when needed.
kdeinit4 (8)         - KDE process launcher.
kdeinit5 (8)         - Launcher for applications built with kdeinit
support, and for KIO slaves.
kdenlive (1)         - An open source non-linear video editor.
kdenlive_render (1)  - Render program for Kdenlive.
kdeoptions (7)       - Common commandline options for all applications
based on the KDE libraries
kdestroy (1)         - destroy Kerberos tickets
kdesu (1)            - Runs a program with elevated privileges
kf5kross (1)         - KDE application to run kross scripts.
kf5options (7)       - Common commandline options for all applications
based on KDE Frameworks 5
kfind (1)            - file find utility for KDE
khangman (6)         - The classical hangman game for KDE
kig (1)              - an interactive geometry program by KDE
kjs (1)              - KDE ECMAScript compatible interpreter
kjs5 (1)             - KDE ECMAScript compatible interpreter
kjscmd (1)           - KDE KJSEmbed interpreter
kross (1)            - KDE application to run kross scripts.
ksshaskpass (1)      - prompts a user for a passphrase using KDE
ktouch (1)           - a typing tutor for KDE
kwallet-query (1)    - KDE Wallet command-line manipulation tool
makekdewidgets (1)   - Builds Qt(TM) widget plugins from an ini style
description file.
meinproc4 (8)        - KDE translator for XML
meinproc5 (8)        - KDE translator for XML

Further, if you are using the XDG-style of configuration files, I have
the following in ~/.config (and I didn't parse the directory for all
that may apply):

-rw-------  1 dutch dutch   101 Jul 17 08:26 gwenviewrc
-rw-------  1 dutch dutch   107 Jul 11 16:49 kactivitymanagerd-switcher
-rw-------  1 dutch dutch   219 Nov 28  2015 kactivitymanagerdrc
-rw-------  1 dutch dutch   143 Nov 28  2015 kalarmrc
-rw-------  1 dutch dutch    18 Apr 14 20:35 kalgebrarc
-rw-------  1 dutch dutch  3068 Jul 21 21:06 katemetainfos
-rw-------  1 dutch dutch  2263 Jul 19 14:03 katepartrc
-rw-------  1 dutch dutch  1878 Jul 21 21:01 katerc
-rw-------  1 dutch dutch   194 Jul 19 14:02 kateschemarc
-rw-------  1 dutch dutch  7993 Apr 21 13:45 katesyntaxhighlightingrc
-rw-------  1 dutch dutch   419 Nov 28  2015 katevirc
-rw-------  1 dutch dutch    33 Dec 13  2015 kcalcrc
-rw-------  1 dutch dutch   277 Dec 16  2015 kcharselectrc
-rw-------  1 dutch dutch   113 Jul 11 16:52 kcminputrc
-rw-------  1 dutch dutch  2140 Jul 11 16:49 kconf_updaterc
drwxr-xr-x  2 dutch dutch  4096 Jul 11 16:50 kde.org
-rw-------  1 dutch dutch    83 Apr 13 06:20 kdebugrc
-rw-------  1 dutch dutch   803 Apr 12 09:09 kded5rc
-rw-------  1 dutch dutch  1113 Jul  2 18:33 kded_device_automounterrc
-rw-r--r--  1 dutch dutch  5968 Jul 21 21:01 kdeglobals
-rw-------  1 dutch dutch    73 Apr 13 06:20 kfontinstuirc
-rw-------  1 dutch dutch    26 Mar  2 19:34 kgammarc
-rw-------  1 dutch dutch 12202 Jul 11 18:48 kglobalshortcutsrc
-rw-------  1 dutch dutch 31936 Jul 11 16:49 khotkeysrc
-rw-------  1 dutch dutch   472 Dec 10  2015 kickoffrc
-rw-------  1 dutch dutch   104 Mar  6 07:04 kiorc
-rw-------  1 dutch dutch   149 Nov 28  2015 klaunchrc
-rw-------  1 dutch dutch 27259 Dec 20  2015 kmail2rc
-rw-------  1 dutch dutch    74 Nov 28  2015 kmixrc
-rw-------  1 dutch dutch   586 Jul  2 16:28 komparerc
-rw-------  1 dutch dutch   532 Jul 18 09:58 konsolerc
-rw-------  1 dutch dutch    88 Jul 11 18:48 korgacrc
-rw-------  1 dutch dutch   454 Jul 11 18:48 krunnerrc
-rw-------  1 dutch dutch   142 Jul 11 16:50 kscreenlockerrc
-rw-------  1 dutch dutch    86 Nov 28  2015 kscreensaverrc
-rw-------  1 dutch dutch   502 Jul  2 13:32 kservicemenurc
-rw-------  1 dutch dutch   868 Dec  9  2015 ksmserverrc
-rw-------  1 dutch dutch    61 Jul 11 16:50 ksplashrc
-rw-------  1 dutch dutch  1426 Apr 14 20:39 kstarsrc
-rw-------  1 dutch dutch   498 Mar  5 20:09 ksysguardrc
-rw-------  1 root  root    257 Jul  2 16:33 ksystemlogrc
-rw-------  1 dutch dutch   102 Nov 28  2015 ktimezonedrc
-rw-------  1 dutch dutch   225 Mar  4 06:03 kwalletrc
-rw-------  1 dutch dutch  3212 Jul 11 16:49 kwinrc
-rw-------  1 dutch dutch    18 Jul 11 18:48 kwinrulesrc
-rw-------  1 dutch dutch   603 Feb 27 18:32 kwriterc
-rw-r--r--  1 dutch dutch    53 Dec 16  2015 plasma-localerc
drwxr-xr-x  4 dutch dutch  4096 Nov 28  2015 plasma-workspace
-rw-------  1 dutch dutch    25 Jul 11 16:50 plasmarc
-rw-------  1 dutch dutch   550 Jul  3 01:23 plasmashellrc

Maybe I'm just misunderstanding the response.