OpenVPN with xp & win7 clients

Odhiambo Washington odhiambo at gmail.com
Sun Jul 17 17:41:44 UTC 2016

On 17 July 2016 at 18:58, Ernie Luzar <luzar722 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello List;
>
> I travel outside of my home country a lot and can not access some web site
> content because internet connection is from foreign ip address range.
>
> I see many how-tos for installing and configuration VPN on a FreeBSD host.
> But all most all of these how-tos assume the client will be a FreeBSD box
> also. In my case I have 2 laptops I travel with, win xp & win7. The
> official OpenVPN website does offer clients for xp & win7 but configuration
> info is not available.
>
> Looking for how-to to setup VPN client on xp & win7.

For Windows client, use the following:
http://download.securepoint.de/?d=Securepoint%20SSL%20VPN%20Client/v1.0.3

> The FreeBSD handbook has section on IPsec/VPN, but again it assumes server
> and client is a FreeBSD host. Looking for how-to on setting up IPsec/VPN on
> xp & win7.

For setting up the server, use the following: Use this link:
http://linoxide.com/linux-how-to/install-configure-openvpn-freebsd-10-2/

> I have 2 concerns. How much hesitation will VPN inject into watching tv
> programs or movies on my laptops in a foreign country? Will IPsec/VPN
> inject longer hesitations?

I cannot tell about the latencies (I guess that is what you call hesitation
:-)) because I haven't tried it.

> Can I use the remote VPN client to start the show streaming and then have
> the VPN host record the program? Later down loading the program file to my
> laptop for viewing?

That is beyond the scope of FreeBSD questions I guess :-)
But maybe someone has done it and will give you their story.

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,