Help needed for bhyve : vm_create: Device not configured

Shane Ambler FreeBSD at ShaneWare.Biz
Sat Jul 9 04:22:34 UTC 2016

On 09/07/2016 02:45, Manish Jain wrote:
> I am trying to see if I can achieve Windows XP virtualization with my
> FreeBSD 10.2 amd64 host. For a first step, I am trying to get a FreeBSD
> 10.2 guest up and running with the instructions at :
> https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/virtualization-host-bhyve.html
>
> But I just get the error message "vm_create: Device not configured".
> What could be wrong ? My commands and loaded kld's are listed underneath.
>
> Thank for any help.
>
> kldload vmm
> ifconfig tap0 create
> sysctl net.link.tap.up_on_open=1
> ifconfig bridge0 create
> ifconfig bridge0 addm re0 addm tap0
> ifconfig bridge0 up
>
> # sh /usr/share/examples/bhyve/vmrun.sh -c 4 -m 1024M -t tap0 -d wxp.img
> -i -I FreeBSD-10.3-RELEASE-amd64-disc1.iso fbsd10dot3vm
> Launching virtual machine "fbsd10dot3vm" ...
> vm_create: Device not configured

Did you create wxp.img that you want to use as the drive?
The truncate command between the ifconfig and vmrun.sh is the one that
creates the empty file to be used.

Unless you are running a very recent build of FreeBSD current
(last 5 days) you will need some extra work for windows.

To get windows running you need to setup an unattended install for
windows as there is no gui available during boot.

https://wiki.freebsd.org/bhyve/Windows

--
FreeBSD - the place to B...Software Developing

Shane Ambler