[installworld] Do We need /usr/obj

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Mon Jan 25 08:18:36 UTC 2016

On Sun, 24 Jan 2016 17:49:24 -0600 (CST), Lars Eighner wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Jan 2016, Tim Daneliuk wrote:
>
> > One of the servers I maintain has a very small footprint (it's a VPS).
> > It is set up to do a full buildworld/buildkernel every night.  That way,
> > when its time to upgrade for, say, security reasons, there is no build delay
> > (which takes nearly 5 hours on this virtual machine).
> >

> Yes, you can delete /usr/bin after installworld.

Deleting /usr/bin is not a good idea; deleting /usr/obj is a better one. :-)

Allow me an addition: It's possible that you'll need /usr/obj for
the mergemaster steps as well (I'm not fully sure which files will
be sourced from /usr/src and which from /usr/obj). So it's probably
a good advice to have a look at /usr/src/Makefile's comment header
in order to check the correct order of operations which might involve
using /usr/obj _after_ "make installworld".

> If you have space in /tmp or /var you could link /usr/bin to some of that
> space.

If you have sufficient RAM for that instance, it's probably possible
to put /usr/obj in memory as "scratch space". In this case, always
check your swap configuration!

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany