Unexpected dependencies of graphics/libGL

Luís Fernando Schultz Xavier da Silveira schultz at ime.usp.br
Tue Jan 19 05:09:31 UTC 2016

Hi,

That is a very cool idea. However, it does not make sense to me.
>From a security point of view, it is not an improvement because malware
in the build dependencies could still affect the results of the
compilation within the jail and hence the final binaries and pkg
scripts.
Furthermore, theoretically if an uncessessary dependecy can break the
vanilla system, it can also break it for the same reason with this
trick (it is just less likely).
Also, the build dependencies will be built over and over again
inside the jails during updates (and there are a lot of them).

So, while Poudriere is useful for building packages from the point of
view of the FreeBSD infrastructure (who does not install the packages
itself), it does not make sense to me for a system that will be
installing the packages.