help with making DVD install disc.. 11

al plant noc at hdk5.net
Thu Jan 14 19:43:53 UTC 2016

Ian Smith wrote:
> In freebsd-questions Digest, Vol 605, Issue 5, Message: 5
> On Thu, 07 Jan 2016 10:07:09 -1000 al plant <noc at hdk5.net> wrote:
>  >  Aloha List,
>
> Aloha Al,
>
> I noticed in the archives that this seemed unanswered ..
>
>  > I need to make a .iso dvd 11 to test hardware. How do I locate a i386
>  > copy like below with a dvd designation instead of disc1 or has
>  > something changed since I did this a while ago?
>  >
>  >  FreeBSD-11.0-CURRENT-i386-20160106-r293245-disc1.iso <https://pub.allbsd.org/FreeBSD/snapshots/ISO-IMAGES/11.0/FreeBSD-11.0-CURRENT-i386-20160106-r293245-disc1.iso>
>  >
>  > I looked at handbook but couldnt find the how to for this. See the
>  > dvd under releases but I want to test 11 for this email desktop
>  > hardware.
>
> The package set on the dvds is only rolled just before release time,
> when the odds of it being a consistent set are at least reasonable.
>
> I guess you could use 10.2-RELEASE dvd, then upgrade system sources with
> svnlite or svnup, though already you need online access to do that.  You
> _might_ even get away with replacing base.txz and kernel.txz with
> CURRENT ones on a re-rolled 10.2 dvd, but I wouldn't bet on it ..
>
> Even with 10.2, there's a dance to be performed to get around bugs in
> bsdinstall and/or bsdconfig regarding finding the packages on the dvd;
> the procedure required is given in the release notes.
>
> We're not where 1GB memsticks were big anymore, and there are now plenty
> of notebooks and tablets without optical drives; I really don't know why
> there isn't a (say) 4GB memstick image with what's on the dvd, and room
> to even add more packages .. I had a go at that for 9.3 but ran into the
> same issues getting pkg pointing to the local packages, before the 10.2
> method was documented.  Even now, not everyone is always online :)
>
> cheers, Ian

Aloha and Thanks Ian,

My biggest problem is that I only have 2 working FreeBSD Desktops
(FreeBSD 8) currently and the DVD CD had to be changed and I cant get
either to work with burncd or DVD growisofs.
I am going to change the CDR/DVD components to see if I can get one of
them to burn a good disc with FreeBSD 11 or even 10.2 .

I got Fiber optic service here on island last year and had to change
some of my  boxes to work with the new network.

Maybe  I have to wait untill the FreeBSD 11 RELEASE comes out. I get big
media and in out errors when I try to create CD or DVD.

Any ideas appreciated.

        ~ Al Plant - Honolulu, Hawaii - Phone: 808-284-2740 ~
                 Supporting FreeBSD - UNIX Computer O/S
              email: noc at hdk5.net  email: alplant.att.net
."All that's really worth doing is what we do for others" - Lewis Carrol