Is it possible to mount my microSD ?

Manish Jain bourne.identity at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 12 12:37:13 UTC 2016

On 01/12/16 17:15, Polytropon wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jan 2016 16:27:17 +0530, Manish Jain wrote:
>> I am on FreeBSD 10.2 (amd64). I have a Nokia 225 mobile which has a
>> microSD card. When I attach the mobile via USB to my computer, the
>> following pops in dmesg  :
>>
>> umass0:6:0:-1: Attached to scbus6
>> da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 scbus6 target 0 lun 0
>> da0: <MEDIATEK FLASH DISK > Removable Direct Access SCSI device
>> da0: Serial Number 537907604942000
>> da0: 1.000MB/s transfers
>> da0: 3796MB (7774208 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 483C)
>> da0: quirks=0x2<NO_6_BYTE>
>>
>> I was wondering whether it would be possible to mount the microSD disk
>> in my filesystem. Thanks for any help.
> Depending on the file system, you might need to try which
> mount option you'll need. For example, if this is a DOS (FAT)
> formatted device, something like
>
> 	# mount -t msdos -o ro /dev/da0 /mnt
>
> might work. Check the partitioning (if you need to access
> it vial /dev/da0 or /dev/da0s1). The file system type can
> be identified with the command
>
> 	# file -s /dev/da0
>
> or applied to /dev/da0s1 (as mentioned above).
>
> In some cases, it's required to "re-taste" the device. The
> command
>
> 	# true > /dev/da0
>
> will do this.
>
> As I said, the file system type matters. If it's NTFS, install
> fuse and use its NTFS module. Also look at "man mount" if there
> are options that you'd find handy, such as -r (or -o ro), as
> well as -m, -M, or -o noatime.
>
> When everything works as intended, create an entry in /etc/fstab.
> It could look like this:
>
> 	/dev/da0  /media/sd  msdosfs  rw,noauto,noatime,-m=644,-M=755  0  0
>
> See "man 5 fstab" for details.

Hi Polytropon/Kraduk,

Thanks for responding.

I have been left looking a bit of a fool here. The first few times I
attached the card, the messages popped up in dmesg alright. But there
was no /dev/da0* device, and I was utterly confused. The confusion
became confounding when I just attached the card this last time, and
whoa ... the file manager pops up a prompt to open up the microSD disk
drive, and the /dev/da0[s1] devices are there, of course.

I have no idea whether this is a problem with my FreeBSD system or a
problem with the mobile/card or no problem at all. I have no idea too
what will be the results when I attach the card the next time. But I do
remember something which might be relevant. A couple of months back, I
attached the mobile+card to Windows XP a few times. 5-6 times the device
manager showed an unknown device, and the final time I attached it, the
drive in the card magically popped up. This gets besides the FreeBSD
issue but makes a nice story. I took the mobile to the authorized Nokia
dealer, and he said the microSD card is not supposed to show up at all
with the handset model I have. I even verified this in front of me with
a brand new handset (same model) and brand new microSD card. As per him,
the error was not the 5-6 times device manager showed unknown device,
but the final time when the disk showed up. He further stated that the
mass storage device is supposed to work only when the Nokia connectivity
driver is installed.

I returned home, installed the driver and - yes - the card attaches
consistently and smoothly.

Now the wheel starts spinning all over again in FreeBSD  : - )

Any clues / tips ?

--
Regards,

Manish Jain