"fsck -y /" keeps saying "Disk is still dirty" no matter how many times I run it

al plant noc at hdk5.net
Sat Jan 9 00:05:21 UTC 2016

Polytropon wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Jan 2016 12:11:43 -0800, Yuri wrote:
>
>> As a result of the power outage I needed to run fsck on UFS disk with
>> soft-updates.
>>
>> But every time the command 'fsck -y /' says that it corrected a lot of
>> problems, but it still leaves the disk dirty. I ran it at least 15 times
>> - same result.
>>

> This seems to indicate a massive file system defect. Using
> "fsck -fy /" enables fsck to use its full spectrum of repair
> (in comparison to -p "preen mode"). Check if _the same_ problems
> re-appear. In this case, they could not be fixed properly
> and the file system won't get the "clean" indicator.
>

>> What would be the way to proceed from here?
>>

> Re-initalize the file system and restore from a recent backup.
> If you don't have one, you could try to backup from the damaged
> file system with "dump", then run "newfs", and then "restore".
>

>> (I ran fsck before, but it never happened that fsck keeps finding problems)
>>

> I've seen a comparable problem very few times, but usually
> a second run of a forced full fsck solved the problem.
>
> Are you sure the disk (!) doesn't have problems after the
> power outage? It's possible that you're seeing a "hardware
> issue" here.

Aloha Yuri,

I think Poly may be right about hardware fault. If the power surged and
then went off  I lost a drive this way a long time ago.

Al

        ~ Al Plant - Honolulu, Hawaii - Phone: 808-284-2740 ~
                 Supporting FreeBSD - UNIX Computer O/S
              email: noc at hdk5.net  email: alplant.att.net
."All that's really worth doing is what we do for others" - Lewis Carrol