mailing list software recommendation

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Mon Feb 8 21:02:13 UTC 2016

On Sun, 7 Feb 2016 23:05:14 -0800, N.J. Thomas wrote:
> * David Benfell <benfell at parts-unknown.org> [2016-02-07 20:55:37-0800]:
> > > I am looking for a mailing list software application in the ports
> > > collection that DOESN'T show any list members email address in the
> > > posts.
> >
> > I believe mailman can do this. It is an option in the mailing list
> > configuration but it is not on by default.
>
> Correct. Install GNU Mailman from ports, and set the anonymous_list
> option when setting up your list. But see also the caveat from the docs:
>
>    anonymous_list
>
>           This variable allows you to turn on some simple anonymizing
>           features of Mailman. When you set this option to Yes, Mailman
>           will remove or replace the From:, Sender:, and Reply-To:
>           fields of any message posted to the list.

This is correct for the headers, but I think in order to anonymize
the list _posts_ you need to do some more postprocessing. For example,
when a user quotes another user, the introduction line, followed by
the quote, might contain the quoted user's address:

	On 07-Feb-2016, Bob <bob at example.com> wrote:
	> [ Bob's text here ]

If you need _that_ feature too, you'd have to postprocess the messages
or strictly enforce the omission of e-mail addresses in the posts. I'm
not sure if GNU Mailman has a built-in function or a pluggable module
for that purpose...

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany