Switch from legacy to UEFI boot??

Arthur Chance freebsd at qeng-ho.org
Thu Feb 4 17:04:10 UTC 2016

On 04/02/2016 14:50, Brandon J. Wandersee wrote:

> Trond Endrestøl writes:
>
>> On Thu, 4 Feb 2016 14:36+0100, Matthias Fechner wrote:
>>>
>>> is it true that currently the EFI loaded cannot boot a ZFS root?
>>
>> As of r294999, stable/10's boot1.efi and loader.efi is able to boot
>> ZFS. Both boot1.efi and loader.efi takes the bootfs property into
>> consideration... Maybe you should wait until the next stable/10
>> snapshot is available...
>
> The ZFS-compatible EFI loader is expected to be ready for 10.3-RELEASE,
> which is scheduled for about six weeks from now.[1] It may be a bit more
> or less time than that, depending on how things go, but the first beta
> snapshot of 10.3 (which is cut from 10-STABLE) is set to be built
> tomorrow. If you don't want to run a development branch, you won't have
> much longer to wait. Though once that change happens, you'd have to back
> up your data and reconfigure your boot scheme to make use of
> ZFS-compatible UEFI booting.
>
> [1]: https://www.freebsd.org/releases/10.3R/schedule.html

I currently have a pure ZFS system with boot environments which I
currently boot using BIOS compatibility mode. Will I just be able to
switch to UEFI boot under 10.3? Is the EFI loader smart enough to find
boot environments for itself, or do we have to flag them in some fashion?

--
Moore's Law of Mad Science: Every eighteen months, the minimum IQ
necessary to destroy the world drops by one point.