freebsd 10 syslog server

Ben Woods woodsb02 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 01:43:35 UTC 2016

Sent from my iPhone
> On 31 Dec 2016, at 3:11 am, Jim McIver <jmciver at lmtribune.com> wrote:
>
> Syslog messages going to /var/log/messages rather than /var/log/apac.log
>
> Followed documentation from:
>
> https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/configtuning-syslog.html
>
> I found where this is happening to someone else, but no answer.
>
> https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2011-November/235565.html
>
> I even did debug option and it showed message logging to /var/log/messages.
>
> Yes the /var/log/apac.log file exists.
>
> As the message in /var/log/messages says " <user.notice> apac jim: test message" I wonder if the line in the top of the /etc/syslog.conf that says "*.notice;authpriv.none;kern.debug;lpr.info;mail.crit;news.err /var/log/messages" is why they go to /var/log/messages?
>
> It mentions "notice" going to /var/log/messages and that's what shows in /var/log/messages.
>
> thought?
> -jm

Hi Jim,

Can you please provide the contents of your /etc/syslog.conf file, and also the relevant lines from /etc/rc.conf? What version of FreeBSD are you running?

Note that I believe syslog will log a message multiple times if it matches multiple rules in syslog.conf, but I could be wrong here.

I also recommend having a read of the syslog.conf(5) man page:
https://man.freebsd.org/syslog.conf

Regards,
Ben