freebsd 10 syslog server

Jim McIver jmciver at lmtribune.com
Fri Dec 30 19:11:17 UTC 2016

Syslog messages going to /var/log/messages rather than /var/log/apac.log

Followed documentation from:

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/configtuning-syslog.html

I found where this is happening to someone else, but no answer.

https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2011-November/235565.html

I even did debug option and it showed message logging to /var/log/messages.

Yes the /var/log/apac.log file exists.

As the message in /var/log/messages says " <user.notice> apac jim: test message" I wonder if the line in the top of the /etc/syslog.conf that says "*.notice;authpriv.none;kern.debug;lpr.info;mail.crit;news.err /var/log/messages" is why they go to /var/log/messages?

It mentions "notice" going to /var/log/messages and that's what shows in /var/log/messages.

thought?
-jm