Comparsion of Solaris , FreeBSD ,Ubuntu Default profile ,bash profile ,bashrc,xinitrc,bash-logout .Xauthority

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Wed Dec 21 01:29:05 UTC 2016

Re-including list and summarizing replies, hope that's okay.

On Tue, 20 Dec 2016 14:17:48 +0100, swjatoslaw gerus wrote:
> Dear Sir
>
>  Thank you for you   for message
>
>  1.To date can not perform simpliest task -start  with two x11
> Attempt   change user .profile  -xterm -fg green +bg black &
> not worked  compiz  going to 80 % CPU time (top)

The X startup file is ~/.xinitrc or ~/.xsession. However, compiz
isn't part of a basic X install and is found typically with "big"
desktop environments such as KDE or Gnome.

When I read "simpliest task", I do _not_ have Gnome in mind - it
just sounds wrong. ;-)

> 2. Regulary  received  Zeitgeist
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeitgeist_(free_software)
>
>  will avoid  ...
> ####################

As far as I see, "Zeitgeist" is part of Gnome. Check this
forum entry on that problematic topic:

https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/43569/

As it seems, you get "Zeitgeist" with Gnome, and it's not
possible to remove it without breaking Gnome. But I have not
tried this, so maybe there is an option to disable "Zeitgeist"
when you build from source...

Maybe you can check the "Gnome 2 successors" MATE and Cinnamon
for _not_ to include that "Zeitgeist" component?

> Did FreeBSD  have  this kind of  forced additional software ?

No. The operating system is quite "limited" (but fully functional!)
in what it installs. After the OS is in place, you can install
whatever software you want from a repository of several thousand
ported application. Nothing is _forced_ upon you.

Check the relevant section in The FreeBSD Handbook:

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/ports.html

On Tue, 20 Dec 2016 18:19:00 +0100, swjatoslaw gerus wrote:
> re: Those entries look like they belong into an X startup file,
> ~/xinitrc (when you're using "startx") or ~/.xsession (when
> you're using a display manager such as XDM).
>
>  After display with unity closed (5 minuts computer not used)
> on display present

Unity? Isn't that a component of Gnome, too? In case you're
using Gnome, don't bother using ~/.xinitrc or ~/.xsession. It
doesn't work. I've already fought this war and lost. ;-)

In order to configure Gnome, you _need_ to use the tools
provided by Gnome. There is an "Autostart"-like group or
setting where you can add applications that should be started
when the user session is launched. That will work.

> some kind of tty , but with onboard display  with  black backround,which
> asked for user password

Text mode or GUI? It could be GDM, the Gnome display manager.

Oh, as we've been talking about Gnome a lot, make sure you
read the Gnome project's information:

https://www.freebsd.org/gnome/

For more general X configuration (independently of Gnome),
like using a display manager or selecting a window manager
or desktop environment:

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/x-xdm.html

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/x11-wm.html

That should cover most typical user situations.

> That is what essentialy author will have
> no any desktop  environment which interfere  programm
> In this condition author will start  2-3 xterm

Then you should say goodbye to Gnome. It's so much trouble to turn
Gnome into something which it isn't - a lightweight window manager.
Instead, install a lightweight window manager (and display manager
if you like), for example WindowMaker. :-)

You could also try "Mate" or "Cinnamon", Gnome 2 successors, also
not that bad.

> 1. passwd  -entried
> 2. to date started unity with multiple icons , graphics &
>
>  Demand  -started equal  some kind of tty  with onboard display and with
>  commando line
>
> from commando line start  2-3 xterm &  ( author can make simpeeeee
> script  sh   x.sh)

There are alternatives to Gnome. I'd like to recommend KDE which
has improved a lot over the last years. But Xfce or Lxde are
probably also worth checking.

I'm not sure about how FreeBSD's native desktop environment, Lumina,
is coming along.

https://lumina-desktop.org/get-lumina/

https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/58140/

If you do not need a full desktop environment, there are plenty
of excellent window managers. Personally, I'm using WindowMaker
for decades now, and I'm very happy with it. There's also fvwm2
which is simple and useful. In worst case, use twm. :-)

On Tue, 20 Dec 2016 20:55:24 +0100, swjatoslaw gerus wrote:
> Dear Sir
>
>  If author understand  definitions of freebsd   correctly
>
> https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/x-understanding.html

Use https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/x11.html as a better
entry point for the X topic. The TOC will have a nice summary
of the _steps_ you'll have to take to configure and run X.

> For author demand
>
>   than  KDE/Gnome  DE  must be not installed
> ##############################
>   only composite  window manager
> #############################
>
> browsers and programms  would start without any icons from commando line

That is also possible. For example, you could use Compiz Fusion
instead of a more simple window manager.

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/x-compiz-fusion.html

However, I have never used this software so I cannot be more
specific. I'm not sure in how far it requires Gnome to work,
or if it requires a window manager to be present (even if it's
just fvwm2).

> freebsd  default   -?

FreeBSD doesn't default to any window manager (or X at all).
It's up to the user to decide, simply because FreeBSD is a
multi-purpose operating system for desktops, servers, and
appliances, so you cannot just slap an arbitrary desktop
environment into the OS and tell users to "take it or leave
it". :-)

So if _I_ wanted just a screen with a few terminals, I'd just
use something like fvwm2 to begin with. It's so simple and
just works. It obeys ~/.xinitrc (which Gnome doesn't) and
plays nice with display managers such as xdm (which Gnome
also doesn't). And if I'd decide to test another window
manager, it's just a simple change of ~/.xinitrc's "exec"
statement.

Here is an example for a ~/.xinitrc file for use with twm:

	#!/bin/sh
	[ -f ~/.xmodmaprc ] && xmodmap ~/.xmodmaprc
	xsetroot -cursor_name left_ptr
	xset r rate 250 30
	xset b 100 1000 15
	xset s off
	xset -dpms
	xterm -title "Terminal" -geometry 80x25+100+100 -fg black -bg beige &
	xterm -title "Terminal" -geometry 80x25+150+150 -fg green -bg black &
	exec twm

If you want to use this file in combination with XDM, you don't
need to have duplicate content of ~/.xinitrc and ~/.xsession
(because xdm will igonore ~/.xinitrc, and execute ~/.xsession
instead). Use this "cascade" in ~/.xsession instead:

	#!/bin/csh
	source ~/.cshrc
	exec ~/.xinitrc

It will incorporate your user's shell configuration (here: C shell)
and then continue as ~/.xinitrc. So now you can use both xdm and
classic "startx". :-)

> solaris and freebsd  default shell - Korn Shell.
> ubuntu defaault shell -bash

FreeBSD default dialog shell: C shell (tcsh)
FreeBSD default scripting shell: Bourne shell (sh),
	which technically is an Almquist shell (ash),
	but quite compatible even with bash

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany