Pkg problem after upgrading from 9.3 to 10.3

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Sun Dec 18 18:00:00 UTC 2016

On 18/12/2016 17:30, francesco scaglione wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Dec 2016 17:06:29 +0000
> Matthew Seaman <matthew at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

>> This sounds like a problem with the DNS -- although why should this
>> affect you after upgrading to 10.x?  Did you switch to enabling the
>> local_unbound service when you upgraded?
>
> Uhm, I don't think so... I just answered "y" to a few "does this look
> reasonable to you" questions. How could I check this?

Do you have:

   local_unbound_enable="YES"

in /etc/rc.conf?

>> What does this DNS query return for you?
>>
>>   % dig IN SRV _http._tcp.pkg.freebsd.org
>>
>> That should give you a list of download sites with
>> 'pkgmir.geo.freebsd.org' marked as the highest priority.  Connecting
>> to this repo by name will automatically direct you to the closest
>> package mirror to your location.  That's pkg0.bme.freebsd.org for
>> people in Europe.
>
> Right, I've tried first with dig:
>
> $ dig IN SRV _http._tcp.pkg.freebsd.org
> dig: not found

Heh.  Yes, dig is no longer in the base system in 10.x.  I reflexively
install bind-tools nowadays.

> and then with drill:
>
> $ drill IN SRV _http._tcp.pkg.freebsd.org
> Warning: Could not create a resolver structure: Could not open the
> files ((null)) Try drill @localhost if you have a resolver running on
> your machine.

OK, this isn't good.  I suspect this is the cause of your problems.

Try this.

   # sysrc local_unbound_enable=YES
   # service local_unbound setup
   # service local_unbound start

and try again with drill(1).  If there is still no joy, let us know what
the contents of /etc/resolv.conf and /var/unbound/forward.conf are.

> Repositories:
>   FreeBSD: {
>     url             :
> "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/FreeBSD:10:amd64/latest", enabled         :
> yes, priority        : 0,
>     mirror_type     : "SRV",
>     signature_type  : "FINGERPRINTS",
>     fingerprints    : "/usr/share/keys/pkg"
>   }

Apart from the line wrapping having gone a bit wonky (cut'n'paste
error?) this looks fine.

	Cheers,

	Matthew