Pkg problem after upgrading from 9.3 to 10.3

francesco scaglione francesco.scaglione at sfr.fr
Sun Dec 18 17:36:53 UTC 2016

On Sun, 18 Dec 2016 17:06:29 +0000
Matthew Seaman <matthew at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On 18/12/2016 14:46, francesco scaglione wrote:
> > After the upgrade (done following with care the Handbook) I get this
> > error:
> >
> > # pkg update
> > Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
> > pkg: http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/FreeBSD:10:amd64/latest/meta.txz: No
> > address record
> > repository FreeBSD has no meta file, using default settings
> > pkg:
> > http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/FreeBSD:10:amd64/latest/packagesite.txz: No
> > address record Unable to update repository FreeBSD
>
> This sounds like a problem with the DNS -- although why should this
> affect you after upgrading to 10.x?  Did you switch to enabling the
> local_unbound service when you upgraded?

Uhm, I don't think so... I just answered "y" to a few "does this look
reasonable to you" questions. How could I check this?

> What does this DNS query return for you?
>
>   % dig IN SRV _http._tcp.pkg.freebsd.org
>
> That should give you a list of download sites with
> 'pkgmir.geo.freebsd.org' marked as the highest priority.  Connecting
> to this repo by name will automatically direct you to the closest
> package mirror to your location.  That's pkg0.bme.freebsd.org for
> people in Europe.

Right, I've tried first with dig:

$ dig IN SRV _http._tcp.pkg.freebsd.org
dig: not found

and then with drill:

$ drill IN SRV _http._tcp.pkg.freebsd.org
Warning: Could not create a resolver structure: Could not open the
files ((null)) Try drill @localhost if you have a resolver running on
your machine.

> > These are my two FreeBSD.conf (I guess only the second one is used):
> >
> > # cat pkg/FreeBSD.conf
> > # $FreeBSD: releng/10.3/etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf 296373 2016-03-04
> > 01:27:38Z marius $
> > #
> > # To disable this repository, instead of modifying or removing this
> > file,
> > # create a /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf file:
> > #
> > #   mkdir -p /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos
> > #   echo "FreeBSD: { enabled: no }"
> >> /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf
> > #
> >
> > FreeBSD: {
> >   url: "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/quarterly",
> >   mirror_type: "srv",
> >   signature_type: "fingerprints",
> >   fingerprints: "/usr/share/keys/pkg",
> >   enabled: yes
> > }
> > ---
> > # cat /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf
> > FreeBSD: {
> >   url: "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/latest",
> >   mirror_type: "srv",
> >   enabled: yes
> > }
> > ---
> >
> > I've read that on 10.3 the "Quarterly" repo is the default, isn't?
> > Should I delete the /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf file and
> > try again?
>
> The quarterly repo is the default nowadays, but you can certainly use
> the latest package set if you want to.  Using quarterly vs latest
> shouldn't have any bearing on the problems you're experiencing though.
>
> Due to the way pkg.conf(5) works, if you have a
> /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/anything.conf that defines a 'FreeBSD' tag --
> this will be merged with the settings from /etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf.  You
> can see what the resulting configuration is by running 'pkg -vv'

This is the output:

$ pkg -vv
Version                 : 1.9.4
PKG_DBDIR = "/var/db/pkg";
PKG_CACHEDIR = "/var/cache/pkg";
PORTSDIR = "/usr/ports";
INDEXDIR = "";
INDEXFILE = "INDEX-10";
HANDLE_RC_SCRIPTS = false;
DEFAULT_ALWAYS_YES = false;
ASSUME_ALWAYS_YES = false;
REPOS_DIR [
    "/etc/pkg/",
    "/usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/",
]
PLIST_KEYWORDS_DIR = "";
SYSLOG = true;
ABI = "FreeBSD:10:amd64";
ALTABI = "freebsd:10:x86:64";
DEVELOPER_MODE = false;
VULNXML_SITE = "http://vuxml.freebsd.org/freebsd/vuln.xml.bz2";
FETCH_RETRY = 3;
PKG_PLUGINS_DIR = "/usr/local/lib/pkg/";
PKG_ENABLE_PLUGINS = true;
PLUGINS [
]
DEBUG_SCRIPTS = false;
PLUGINS_CONF_DIR = "/usr/local/etc/pkg/";
PERMISSIVE = false;
REPO_AUTOUPDATE = true;
NAMESERVER = "";
HTTP_USER_AGENT = "pkg/1.9.4";
EVENT_PIPE = "";
FETCH_TIMEOUT = 30;
UNSET_TIMESTAMP = false;
SSH_RESTRICT_DIR = "";
PKG_ENV {
}
PKG_SSH_ARGS = "";
DEBUG_LEVEL = 0;
ALIAS {
    all-depends = "query %dn-%dv";
    annotations = "info -A";
    build-depends = "info -qd";
    cinfo = "info -Cx";
    comment = "query -i \"%c\"";
    csearch = "search -Cx";
    desc = "query -i \"%e\"";
    download = "fetch";
    iinfo = "info -ix";
    isearch = "search -ix";
    prime-list = "query -e '%a = 0' '%n'";
    leaf = "query -e '%#r == 0' '%n-%v'";
    list = "info -ql";
    noauto = "query -e '%a == 0' '%n-%v'";
    options = "query -i \"%n - %Ok: %Ov\"";
    origin = "info -qo";
    provided-depends = "info -qb";
    raw = "info -R";
    required-depends = "info -qr";
    roptions = "rquery -i \"%n - %Ok: %Ov\"";
    shared-depends = "info -qB";
    show = "info -f -k";
    size = "info -sq";
}
CUDF_SOLVER = "";
SAT_SOLVER = "";
RUN_SCRIPTS = true;
CASE_SENSITIVE_MATCH = false;
LOCK_WAIT = 1;
LOCK_RETRIES = 5;
SQLITE_PROFILE = false;
WORKERS_COUNT = 0;
READ_LOCK = false;
PLIST_ACCEPT_DIRECTORIES = false;
IP_VERSION = 0;
AUTOMERGE = true;
VERSION_SOURCE = "";
CONSERVATIVE_UPGRADE = true;
PKG_CREATE_VERBOSE = false;
AUTOCLEAN = false;
DOT_FILE = "";
REPOSITORIES {
}
VALID_URL_SCHEME [
    "pkg+http",
    "pkg+https",
    "https",
    "http",
    "file",
    "ssh",
    "ftp",
    "ftps",
    "pkg+ssh",
    "pkg+ftp",
    "pkg+ftps",
]
ALLOW_BASE_SHLIBS = false;
WARN_SIZE_LIMIT = 1048576;
METALOG = "";

Repositories:
  FreeBSD: {
    url             :
"pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/FreeBSD:10:amd64/latest", enabled         :
yes, priority        : 0,
    mirror_type     : "SRV",
    signature_type  : "FINGERPRINTS",
    fingerprints    : "/usr/share/keys/pkg"
  }

> 	Cheers,
>
> 	Matthew

Thank you very much for your help, Matthew.
Francesco