FreeBSD 11 and AMD RX 480 GPU

Manish Jain bourne.identity at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 7 13:11:13 UTC 2016

On 12/07/16 17:30, freebsd-questions-request at freebsd.org wrote:
> Good evening all,
>
> I have removed my NVidia card in my system, and replaced it with the
> subject GPU. On the wiki, it does not list my card, and the wiki seems
> to be a tad old - thus this email. When I re-install FreeBSD 11, what
> kind of graphics support will I have? VESA? Or?  Basically, what can I
> expect? The AMDGPU(open source) package seems to work in the Linux world
> when I boot a live CD for testing. But I don't have a live CD for
> FreeBSD that uses a desktop - and thus graphics.

Hi Dave,

As per a post at freebsd-x11 I read a couple of days back, AMDGPU is
still downstream in FreeBSD - and will likely remain that way till mid 2017.

If you are looking to run your AMD GPU under FreeBSD, your best option
for the time being probably is TrueOS (the successor to PC-BSD).

I am a bit surprised that you replaced your NVidia card for a new GPU
without first checking on its support under FreeBSD.

Regards
Manish Jain