Is it necessary to reinstall OS upon motherboard change?

Manish Jain bourne.identity at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 30 21:22:45 UTC 2016

Hi Poly,

Thanks for replying.

I could not figure out any way to suppress all that noise that comes from
my system. Upon opening the cabinet to investigate, all that I could make out
was that the noise originates from the motherboard. It's possible that
this motherboard uses lower grade capacitors and electronics, which could be
the root problem. Being obsessive, I decided that I don't want to keep
bearing all that noise forever, and so I decided to order a new MB -
despite the fact that the 'current' MB is almost brand new itself, just
about 2 weeks old.

I am now moving to a fairly expensive Gigabyte board which does NOT have
integrated graphics. Since my nvidia card works well with FreeBSD, I don't
need integrated grahics any more.

If the MB move fails to take care of the noise, I will next try a new CPU
fan (and then maybe the RAM modules; and then maybe ?? ... I am out of
ideas at this stage - perhaps just a piece of rope to tie around my neck).

Regards
Manish Jain