Non working NIC

Doug Hardie doug at mail.sermon-archive.info
Sun Aug 28 07:29:55 UTC 2016

> On 27 August 2016, at 16:57, David Christensen <dpchrist at holgerdanske.com> wrote:
>
> On 08/27/2016 01:41 PM, Doug Hardie wrote:
>>
>>> On 26 August 2016, at 21:16, David Christensen <dpchrist at holgerdanske.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> How about unplug your HDD, get a 16 GB SSD, do a fresh install of
>>> whatever OS you want, and then reconnect the HDD as a data drive?
>>
>> That would definitely work.  However, I am not interested in dumping money into this as its not my machine.  I did some reading on freebsd-update and there is a rollback option.  I tried it.  It works. I got back to a working 9.1 system that has working NICs.  I then did an upgrade to 9.3 which continued to work.  Then I did an upgrade to 11.0-RC2.  Once again, no network interfaces.  There is something amiss with the i386 networking.  I am going to rollback again so that I can try the next release unless someone has some ideas on how to debug this situation.
>
> 1.  Time is money.  If one rollback, two upgrades, and troubleshooting
> as yet to be determined costs less than $20, your labor rate is too low.

I've never seen that price before.

> 2.  Having everything on one drive is going to complicate taking an
> image of the OS, applications, and configuration settings for disaster
> recovery purposes and complicate replicating the data for redundancy
> purposes.

This is the disaster recovery site machine.  And, unfortunately I do not believe a new drive with 11.0-x will not work either.  The i386 architecture seems to have a problem on 11.0 at this time.  I can try a separate drive, but getting that setup is not real easy.