Non working NIC

Doug Hardie doug at mail.sermon-archive.info
Fri Aug 26 21:14:29 UTC 2016

> On 17 August 2016, at 18:22, Doug Hardie <doug at sermon-archive.info> wrote:
>

>> On 17 August 2016, at 18:17, Doug Hardie <doug at sermon-archive.info> wrote:

>>> No errors in this file. However it's interesting that (if I remember
>>> the thread so far) you reported the disappearing of a network interface
>>> with two different devices... however, there's something strange about
>>> the message: when I try to run dhclient for a network interface that
>>> does not exist on my system, I get this:
>>>
>>> 	# dhclient fxp0
>>> 	ifconfig: interface fxp0 does not exist
>>> 	fxp0: not found
>>> 	exiting.
>>>
>>> Note the ifconfig-related line. And if you run "ifconfig -a" and the
>>> interface _is_ listed, this makes the whole thing even more strange...
>>
>> I created the following code:
>>
>> #include <stdio.h>
>> #include <sys/types.h>
>> #include <sys/socket.h>
>> #include <ifaddrs.h>
>>
>> int main (int argc, char *argv[])
>> {
>>       int rc;
>>       struct ifaddrs *ifi;
>>
>>       rc = getifaddrs (&ifi);
>>       printf ("rc = %d\n", rc);
>> }
>>

>> Compiled it with debugging and ran it.  after the getifaddrs call (it returned 0), there were 3 entries in the table.  All 3 have the name of "".
>>
>> I commented out the networking calls in rc.conf, rebooted the machine and then ran the code.  Same result.  I rebooted in single user mode and ran the code and the same results.  The boot process is not setting the interface names properly.  Whats even more fascinating about this is I have upgraded other machines (although they are newer) from 9.3 to 11.0-RC1 and they worked just fine.
>
> I just noticed, all the systems that upgraded and worked properly are amd64.  This one is i386.

I just tried mfsBSD 10.0 on a memstick and the network cards both are enabled and at least rl0 works.  I didn't test mske0.  So this must be an issue with RC1.  I would like to try RC2 to see if thats fixed.  However, I don't see a way to upgrade without a working network.  This is a backup machine that backs up numerous others so the data on there is huge and is not easily replaced.  I don't have another drive large enough to hold it.  mfsBSD is not available yet for 11, but I am not sure that would be helpful.  bsdinstall will wipe out the drive.  So, any ideas how to do the upgrade?  I am out of ideas at the moment.