game machine based on FreeBSD?

Brandon J. Wandersee brandon.wandersee at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 19:45:52 UTC 2016

Steve O'Hara-Smith writes:

> On Tue, 23 Aug 2016 10:05:41 +0200
> Luca Ferrari <fluca1978 at infinito.it> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Aug 6, 2016 at 3:03 PM, Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve at sohara.org>
>> wrote:

>> >         I'll bet you can't get a FreeBSD PC to play any PS4 games
>> > though.
>> >

>> Uhm..that's interesting.
>> I've got a few months to decide which game machine to get for my son,
>> and I was wondering to build one by myself. Knowing that PS4 is based
>> on FreeBSD is a good news, even if I suspect it's true that porting
>> some games to FreeBSD pure machine will not be so easy...
>
> 	Getting at the FreeBSD inside the PS4 isn't easy either, I'm not
> even sure it's possible.

It's irrelevant. FreeBSD doesn't run the games. It runs the proprietary
encoding and DRM software and speaks to the custom-made hardware that in
turn run the games. Ask yourself how building a custom PC with FreeBSD
on it would run Sony the millions of dollars it spent developing the
thing.

--
::  Brandon J. Wandersee
::  brandon.wandersee at gmail.com
::  'The best design is as little design as possible.'