Root on ZFS, LiveCD and BE

Victor Sudakov vas at mpeks.tomsk.su
Mon Aug 22 15:05:03 UTC 2016

Brandon J. Wandersee wrote:

> > I'll check with the stable version of beadm  in bhyve tomorrow, but
> > please note that BE selection made by beadm-devel itself (from a
> > working system) works perfectly. It's only the loader BE selection
> > menu that has this problem.

I have just verified, the boot menu problem is the same no matter if
beadm of beadm-devel were used for BE creation.

> I just set up boot environments for the first time with sysutils/beadm
> last week myself, so this seemed like as good a time as any to create
> one and try it out. I get the same behavior: activating a boot
> environment from a running system and rebooting works fine, but
> selecting a boot environment from the boot menu fails. So it's probably
> a problem with the loader. I'll comment on the bug report myself
> shortly.

Thank you for your comment on the bug report.

What makes me suspicious is the fact that the menu shows
zfs:zroot/ROOT/test1 as the Active BE but the bootfs is still
zfs:zroot/ROOT/default:

                                            s` `.....---.......--.```   -/
 +============Welcome to FreeBSD===========+ +o   .--`         /y:`      +.
 |                                         |  yo`:.            :o      `+-
 |  1. Active: zfs:zroot/ROOT/test1        |   y/               -/`   -o/
 |  2. bootfs: zfs:zroot/ROOT/default      |  .-                  ::/sy+:.
 |  3. [P]age: 1 of 1                      |  /                     `--  /
 |                                         | `:                          :`
 |  Boot Environments:                     | `:                          :`
 |  4. test1                               |  /                          /
 |  5. default                             |  .-                        -.

Is it supposed to be so?

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
sip:sudakov at sibptus.tomsk.ru