erm shot my foot off with zfs, q on rescue

Russell L. Carter rcarter at pinyon.org
Mon Aug 22 03:11:42 UTC 2016

On 08/20/16 16:51, Shamim Shahriar wrote:
> On 21/08/2016 00:44, Russell L. Carter wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> So I misfired and hosed my 10/stable zfs / mounts by running
>>
>> zfs set mountpoint=/ zroot/zetc
>>
>> so that now I don't seem to actually have any of the uh mandatory
>> system directories visible.  (turns red)
>>
>> No emergency thankfully, I've got three border gateways and just got
>> all three happily configured so if I had to I could just reinstall
>> this poor innocent one that I accidentally shot in the face.
>>
>> But as it happens I pulled it and have it interfaced with a keyboard
>> and monitor and have booted a USB 10.3 stable install image.  I
>> dropped into the shell, and ran zfs list and it comes up with nothing.
> I'm not sure it is supposed to -- your boot disc has no knowledge of
> available pools or the zfs available. The better way of doing it, if I
> understand right as to what you are trying to do, would be to run
>
> zpool import
>
> that will show you available zpools.
>
> Then you can import the pool using
>
> zpool import <poolName>
>
> you can even set different mountpoints etc., the export it, and then fix
> the mountpoints as to where they are supposed to be.

Ok, that's a start.  I ran zpool import, which showed zroot, and then
did zpool import -f zroot, which happily succeeded, and this blew away
all the / mounts, so that the situation for the boot image is the same
for the system disk.  That is, no / mounted directories are visible.
I've rebooted the install image and looked at mounting to an existing
directory but the mfs is read only.  Running

zpool import -o mountpoint=z1 zroot

replies 'property mountpoint is not a valid pool property', which is
true.

Should I give up on this and polish my system installation technique?

Thanks,
Russell