Non working NIC

Doug Hardie doug at mail.sermon-archive.info
Thu Aug 18 00:14:13 UTC 2016

> On 17 August 2016, at 16:55, Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:
>
> On Wed, 17 Aug 2016 16:21:16 -0700, Doug Hardie wrote:

>>> This almost looks like a problem with the contents of rc.conf.
>>> Can you show all the relevant lines?
>>
>> ifconfig rl0="DHCP"
>          ^
> Missing underscore. -> ifconfig_rl0="DHCP"

Sorry about that.  I have to manually type in whats on the screen.  There are no working network interfaces.  I am not a great typist.  The underscore is actually there.

>>> Can you manually run "dhclient rl0" at any stage?
>>
>> rl0: not found
>> exiting
>
> So the question is: Why does the device disappear after the
> kernel reported its status change to "up"?
>

>>> What does "ifconfig -a" show?
>>
>> : flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST>
>> ifconfig: ioctl(SIOCGIFINFO_IN6): Device not configured
>
> It seems that one is related to IPv6.

It looks that way.  I chased down the not found message in dhclient.  It is generated in discover_interfaces as the result of a getifaddrs call.

I added to rc.conf:

ipv6_network_interfaces="none"
ipv6_activate_all_interfaces="NO"

Didn't change anything.