Need advice for setting up mail server

Niklaas Baudet von Gersdorff stdin at niklaas.eu
Sun Aug 7 17:25:58 UTC 2016

Doug Hardie [2016-08-07 10:07 -0700] :

> I found the sieve language a bit confusing at first.  It took
> a few tries to get one to compile without errors.  One of the
> more interesting aspects is that the sieve is not compiled when
> you save it.  It is compiled when the next message is
> processed.  It will generate a log file if an error is found.
> The error messages are actually helpful.  There is a way to
> manually force the compile, but I never can remember it.
> I just send myself an email so I don't have to wait to find out
> if the change was proper.  Using the web interface might make
> it easier.  I have never bothered to install it to find out.
> Currently I am the only one using that feature and vi is just
> fine for me.  If one of the others starts using it though I'll
> probably have to try that.

mail/roundcube is a webmailer that has a managesieve plugin.
You'd also need to activate managesieve in `mail_plugins` in
Dovecot. See mail/managesieve for the plugin to (as it says)
manage your sieve configuration remotely. Additionally you need
sieve itself i.e., mail/dovecot2-pigeonhole.

I would like to add that Postfix's documentation indeed is great.
Have a look at

and especially

  http://www.postfix.org/STANDARD_CONFIGURATION_README.html

for configuration examples for common use cases.

    Niklaas